Research Associate – 2 Positions with the option of a PhD thesis at ETH Zurich
100%, Zurich, fixed-term
a) Data driven optimization of manufacturing processes for HDI-PCBs
b) Computational modeling and fatigue life prediction for HDI-PCBs
inspire AG is the leading Swiss competence center for product innovation and advanced manufacturing. As a strategic partner of ETH Zurich, our mission is to transfer knowledge and technology from research to Swiss machine, electrical and metal industries.
The research group Material Mechanics and Simulation at inspire offers in collaboration with the Chair of Artificial Intelligence in Mechanics and Manufacturing (AIMM) at ETH Zurich the position of a Research Associate in the field of Computational Modeling of Printed Circuit Boards.
The demand for miniaturization of printed circuit boards lead to new challenges in product reliability. Computational strategies based on data mining and numerical simulation are proposed to address these challenges.
In HDI technology, microvias are used as electrical connections between different conductor layers. Fault isolation and analysis of microvias requires detailed knowledge of material behavior under manufacturing process and reliability testing conditions. A virtual-experimental strategy, combined with data mining, is being considered to investigate these challenges. The project includes a total of two PhD positions that will work closely together
In collaboration with Prof. Mohr's research group we focus on materials and process modeling based on physically motivated models as well as machine learning approaches. Our projects are carried out in close cooperation with industrial partners, so that in addition to theoretical investigations, the focus is also on the application of the research work. In this context, the development and implementation of models in the corresponding software, the planning and execution of appropriate experiments and the validation of the results form the main components of the studies.
Field of activity:
- Develop appropriate machine learning models based on inhomogeneous data sets (images as well as time series) – Position (a)
- Determine the relationship between the process parameters and failure types and define their sensitivity to the product quality – Position (a)
- Develop multi-field computational models, crystal plasticity and FEM, based on micromechanical and macroscopic material properties – Position (b)
- Perform appropriate experiments to calibrate and validate computational models – Position (b)
- Optimize the manufacturing process to meet reliability requirements of the product
- Master’s degree in engineering, computational sciences or equivalent fields
- Passion for computational modeling
- Programming skills in common programming languages
- Motivation and ability to learn new disciplines
- Applicants must be either Swiss citizens, EU or EFTA national or have the legal right to work in Switzerland
inspire AG is a family-friendly employer with excellent working conditions. You can look forward to an exciting working environment, cultural diversity and attractive offers and benefits.
We offer a full-time scientific position with the option of a PhD thesis at ETH Zurich. Through the close cooperation with our project partners, you will quickly establish contacts with Swiss industry, and in our young team you will work at the forefront of today's knowledge in computational engineering and data driven optimization.