Doctoral student: Mechatronics for Biosystems
100%, Basel, fixed-term
The Control Theory and Systems Biology lab at the Depatment of Biosystems Science & Engineering (D-BSSE) of ETH Zurich welcomes doctoral applicants in the area of Mechatronics for Biosystems. Headed by Prof. Mustafa Khammash, the lab develops advanced methodologies for the analysis and design of biosystems. We combine engineering, biology, and mathematics to design and build biological and hybrid biological/electronic circuits for controling living cells, with applications in industrial biotechnology and medical therapy.
You will be reponsible for designing mechanical, electrical, fluidic, and/or optical systems for the control and automation of biological systems for research. The position involves both hardware and software development. Prior background in biology is preferred, but not necessary.
Education and skills:
- Bachelor's/Master's degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics, Physics, or related field
- Experience in electronics systems (experience with embedded systems and micro-controllers is a plus)
- Srong programming skills (experience with MATLAB/Python/C/C++ is preferable)
- Interest/experience in basic mechanical design
- Microscopy skills are a plus though not required
- Good written and spoken english is essential
- A highly multidisciplinary and collaborative environment. Our team consists of experimentalists and computational/theoretical scientists working closely together.
- A wide range of activities like symposia, workshops and lecture series, as well as the possibility for the doctoral students to engage in organising such formats.
We value diversity
Curious? So are we.
We look forward to receiving your online application with the following documents by October 20, 2022:
- Detailed CV including a list of publications, talks and awards (if applicable)
- Short motivation letter (750-1000 words) outlining your research interests and career plans in relation to the present offer.
- Scanned degree certificates and transcripts (Bachelor's, Master's and other degrees)
- Names and email addresses of 2-3 individuals (established faculty researchers, max. 1 letter from a postdoctoral researcher or non-academic (e.g. industry) supervisor is allowed) who can provide reference letters. Please ask your referees to submit their reference letters to our online system within the application deadline.
Please note that we exclusively accept applications submitted through our online application portal. Applications via email or postal services will not be considered.
Questions regarding the position should be directed to Prof. Mustafa Khammash: email@example.com (no applications).