Software Developer - Data Science Academic Team
80%-100%, Zurich, fixed-term
The Swiss Data Science Center (SDSC) was founded through a strategic focus area of the ETH Board and has offices at EPFL, ETH Zurich and the Paul Scherrer Institute (PSI). The centre is composed of a large and diverse multi-disciplinary team.
Our mission is to help academic teams and industries leverage data science and state-of-the-art machine learning. In other words, SDSC aims at bridging the gap between those who create data, those who develop data analytics and systems, and those who could potentially extract value from it.
For our Academic Team, we are looking for a software engineer eager to collaborate with the data scientists in the Academic Team.
You will be in charge of making the data science projects more impactful by developing intuitive and powerful UIsand software. These will allow exploiting further some of the machine learning models implemented in the framework of our academic collaborations, generating state-of-the-art solutions for various fields such as architecture, environmental and social sciences, physics, etc.
In the framework of the academic collaborations, the data scientists at the SDSC develop different machine learning and deep learning solutions to tackle the proposed research questions. In many cases, more general methodologies, beyond the projects' specific needs, are developed. Even though these may lead to valuable and relevant software applications, currently they go beyond the scope of these projects, hence these methods do not reach further development stages.
Therefore, we are looking for a creative developer to join our academic data science team. As a member of our team, you will collaborate with data scientists to make the implemented ML models more usable, aiming at reaching a broader audience. The tasks will range from just helping streamline a Python package, to implementing fully-fledged software, where a UI enables users to interact with some ML models running in the backend. Your role will crucially influence the impact of SDSC projects and therefore increase their outreach significantly.
These developments will happen in the framework of diverse projects, ranging from natural language processing in political sciences and generative design for architecture to biology and environmental sciences. Hence, you will have the opportunity to engage in different, but always interesting, collaborations between our data scientists and external collaborators.
We are a team of 22 data scientists from 10 different countries, seeking to apply novel ML methods to solve real-world problems, and we need someone like you to get further!
Your main duties and responsibilities include:
- Support the software development effort of data scientists
- Carry out the development of frontend/backend software to implement usable ML solutions
- Assist with the streamlining of code and the creation of Python packages
- Help data scientists in adopting efficient solutions to handle data
- Coaching and consultation with our data scientists on best coding practices, data management, current frameworks and technologies, etc.
- You are a developer with a minimum of a BSc in Computer Science or related fields, with a provable experience in software development
- You enjoy crafting sophisticated software solutions, consisting of intuitive UIs that allow interaction with modern ML models
- You have experience with Python, Typescript and UI frameworks such as React, and standard database technologies such as SQL and Neo4J
- You have some basic understanding of machine learning and data science
- You know how to present complex results as appealing and informative plots
- Beyond specific skills, we are interested in individuals who are eager to learn, are self-motivated and love working on a team
- A stimulating, collaborative, cross-disciplinary environment in a world-class research institution
- We deeply value work-life balance and will readily consider part-time employment options as well as home-office work
- Our work hours are flexible, and scheduling holidays is uncomplicated
- In this dynamic position, you will make full use of your engineering skills to develop backend services, design user interfaces, contribute to design decisions and investigate available technology options
- We encourage experimentation and creativity by actively promoting the learning of new technologies and approaches on the job
We value diversity
Curious? So are we.
We look forward to receiving your online application with the following documents:
- Motivation letter
Please note that we exclusively accept applications submitted through our online application portal. Applications via email or postal services will not be considered.
Further information about SDSC can be found on our website, including some examples of projects carried out by the academic team. Questions regarding the position should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org (no applications) - please copy the job title and location as a reference.
For recruitment services the GTC of ETH Zurich apply.