Postdoc Researcher Digital Underground – Data Quality Improvement
We are looking for a skilled, pragmatic, and highly motivated researcher to join the Digital Underground team to research and develop solutions for the improvement and reconciliation of subsurface utility data quality.
ETH Zurich is one of the leading universities of the world with a strong focus on science and engineering. In 2011 it established the Singapore-ETH Centre (SEC) in collaboration with the National Research Foundation (NRF) of Singapore to do interdisciplinary research on pressing problems. In collaboration with the Singapore Land Authority (SLA), SEC is undertaking the research project ‘Digital Underground’ which aims to work towards a reliable digital twin of subsurface utilities in Singapore. In its 3rd phase the project focuses on workflows for reliable subsurface utility data quality.
Within this framework we are announcing a new job opening focusing on the improvement of the quality of legacy GIS data.
You will work in the area of Geomatics Engineering, GIS, and Data Integration, investigating and developing research prototype solutions and workflows for the improvement of the quality of legacy GIS data on subsurface utilities.
You will join us as part of the third phase of the Digital Underground project, a collaboration between Singapore Land Authority and the Singapore-ETH Centre. You will work under the supervision of Prof. Dr. Andreas Wieser, Co-Principal Investigator of the Digital Underground project and Professor of Geosensors and Engineering Geodesy at ETH Zürich.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- Investigate which data can be acquired and which data sources can be accessed for the purpose of improving the quality of legacy subsurface utility data;
- Investigate how this quality improvement can be achieved through integration of heterogeneous data;
- Investigate data quality checks with a particular focus on automation; and
- Demonstrate the data integration and quality improvement workflows using real-world case studies.
We offer you:
- An opportunity to do impactful work on a globally relevant issue;
- Ample opportunity to test and validate your work using real-world data, based on already well-established connections with public and private sector collaborators;
- A clean, modern, and progressive work environment with competitive compensation commensurate to your skills and expertise;
- A diverse and interdisciplinary cast of colleagues, with plenty of opportunities to interact and collaborate with researchers from fields such as architecture, urban planning, social science, civil engineering, geomatics engineering, and computer science.
You hold a PhD degree in Geomatics, Geodesy, GIS or a related field and ideally have experience in data integration and data quality assessment. Strong analytical skills, knowledge about data-capture technology as well as programming skills (e.g., Java, Python or C++) are required. Knowledge of subsurface utility data modelling or subsurface utility data capture technologies is an advantage but not required.
You must have excellent communication skills in English (oral and writing). The candidate must be both autonomous and team-oriented, and willing to work in an international environment which mixes collaboration in physical presence with online-collaboration.
We look forward to receiving your online application with a letter of motivation and a CV.
Please note that we exclusively accept applications submitted through our online application portal. Applications via email or postal services will not be considered.
Further information about the Digital Underground project and Singapore-ETH Centre can be found on our websites www.digitalunderground.sg and www.sec.ethz.ch. Questions regarding the position should be directed to Mr. Rob van Son, email firstname.lastname@example.org (no applications).
In line with our values, ETH Zurich encourages an inclusive culture. We promote equality of opportunity, value diversity and nurture a working and learning environment in which the rights and dignity of all our staff and students are respected. Visit our Equal Opportunities and Diversity website to find out how we ensure a fair and open environment that allows everyone to grow and flourish.